Saturday 29th May 2010 – Art, Beer & Eurovision

Kat and I left the boys and went to Lenham to the Pilgrim's Way Art Exhibition. There was some beautiful work there. I especially liked the vibrant colours of Keith Siddle's work, http://www.keithsiddleart.com/ I introduced myself to the Cathy who runs the Laughter Yoga group on Egerton. Her work is very cool too. When we got back to Ashford, we called into Mac Donalds to get something to eat.

We drove to the beer festival at the Hooden on the Hill. They had decided to only put 15 of the beers on just in case it didn't go as well as expected. We were warned before our arrival that Dave had done something silly. He greeted us with a pink and blue butterfly on his face. No real surprise there then! He was their first customer of the day. My first beer was Barn Owl (Cotleigh brewery). I liked the sound of the toffee and nut flavours. I think the others I had were Lord Marples (Thornbridge brewery), Bombardier (Wells & Young brewery) and Bear Ass (Beartown brewery). Later Batty was persuaded to have a bat painted on his face. It looked really good, even though we did then call them Bat Smurf and Butterfly Boy. Another big kid also his face painted with the St Georges flag which he got into trouble for. Dave later persuaded a Dad with his two little girls there that they should have their faces done as it only cost 2/3rds of a pint! Eventually the Dad gave in. They came back later all smiles as a pink cat and a tiger.

It was very cold and wet for most of the day. One game was chasing water out of the tarpaulin cover that was over most of the garden. The entertainment was good. Two guys singing with guitars, their first song of the day, optimistically, was “Here comes the sun!” They were very good, which is more than can be said for the accompaniment from our group. I left with Kat and Batty, and Batty drove my car home as he hadn't been drinking. The boys got a lift home with Chippy and Sam later.

At home I was so cold that I went to bed for a while to warm up. I tried reading but I was too tired to stay awake so I had a snooze. Kat snoozed too in front of the TV. I got woken when the boys got home. They disappeared to the pub for a while I got ready for the Eurovision evening at Andy and Heather's. I decided to wear my long black dress as this was a rare excuse to dress up. Heather had put on a lovely buffet for us. Andy had decorated their house with flags and photos of previous Eurovision contestants, and had recorded music videos playing on his PC while we waited for the 55th Eurovision final to start.

We also had score sheets to mark the entrants out of 30 for “Song Quality”, “Performance” and “Dance/Outfits”. Some comments from the evening:
Azerbaijan - “only one glove and not even a whole one!”
Spain - “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Dancers”
Moldava – they had good costumes
Belgium – the song was “Me and My Guitar”.... Heather said “as it says on the tin”
Belarus – the song was “Butterflies” and they had butterfly dresses
Ireland – we decided she was so tall she looked like “Hagrid”
Turkey – they had the Power Ranger dancer
Albania – Avon and Gary Glitter
Iceland – another tall person, Mrs Hagrid? Someone suggested that they could use her dress to cover the volcano
Russia's song was awful but I gave that more points than Germany, who finished in first place with 246 points. UK were last with 10 points. We cheered when UK got some points and were ahead of Belarus but it was short lived as Belarus got points straight away.

When it came to the scoring bit at the end, we were also being less than complimentary on what some of the country representatives were wearing. The worst was the guy from Estonia. It looked like he had skinned a dalmatian. Graham Norton said that even he wouldn't wear that! Another funny comment from Graham was that he “lies like a rug”!!

We had a fun evening. Thank you to Andy and Heather again for hosting. I don't think I could watch Eurovision if I didn't watch it with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment