Thursday 11th February 2010


It snowed heavy overnight. Another 4-6 inches in places. Thankfully the car was easy to clean off. Why do some people not think to clean their lights too? I left for work later than I intended and it took about half an hour so I was late again. At least I made it in though. Some didn't. The City Link drivers didn't show later so I had to go down the their office again. In the evening, as Dave was on the late shift, I made us chicken in white wine sauce. As I had some honey that needed using up, I decided to make a cake. I found a recipe in my favourite set of books for Devonshire Honey Cake. I halved the ingredients as I didn't have the full amount of honey. Dave and Dan love it. Here is the original recipe in case you'd like to try it:

225g/8oz unsalted butter
250g/9oz clear honey, plus about 2 tbsp extra to glaze
100g/4oz dark muscovado sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
300g/10oz self raising flour

Takes 1 ½ hours / Serves 12

Preheat the oven to 160 C/Gas 3/fan 140 C
Butter and line a 20cm/8in round loose-bottomed cake tin
Cut the butter into pieces and drop into a medium pan with the honey and sugar
Melt slowly over a low heat
When liquid, increase the heat under the pan and boil for about 1 minute
Leave to cool

Beat the eggs into the cooled honey mixture using a wooden spoon
Sift the flour into a large bowl and pour in the egg and honey mixture, beating until you have a smooth batter

Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until the cake is well-risen, golden brown and springs back when pressed

Turn the cake out on a wire rack
Warm 2 tablespoons of honey in a small pan and brush over the top of the cake to glaze
Leave to cool

No comments:

Post a Comment