Saturday 18th September - Martin's Birthday

I spent the first part of the morning trying to decide what to do with my car. Dan said that he wouldn't be happy trying to fix it. If it was just the alternator belt, I thought it might be easy enough. I checked that I could get a replacement from Beaver Batteries. They assured me that I could. I then went out to check the car. Matt came past while I was checking. I think the belt was possibly still there, hanging off. One of the cogs had come loose and was chipped probably when it moved. I then phoned my favourite garage, D & D Autos. If I could get the car there before they shut, they would sort it out for me on Monday. I then had to phone the breakdown company again to get the car transferred the garage. This was also part of my breakdown policy via my bank. It was a massive American truck from Ashford Recovery that came this time. It was left hand drive and it was strange to sit on the right of such a huge vehicle. I left the car in their capable hands and Dave came to pick me up.

In the evening, we went to Martin's surprise birthday party at the Queens Head in Kingsnorth. We all arrived early to make sure that we could hide up without being seen. The boys managed to get him in through the front entrance so that he didn't see our cars. He was dragged there on the pretence of it being just the role playing gang going out for a drink. I guess he suspected something was up but not sure if he would have expected all of his friends to be there and all of his family. Martin's mum had done a brilliant job with the food. For the most of the evening it was very much the family on one side of the room and our lot on the other. Martin was very chuffed with his presents, especially the PS3. He was close to tears. Bless. There were lots of laughs when a few o our silly friends were swallowing the helium from the balloons and reciting poems, etc. We tried to mix up the two groups with a few games. I asked Matt to organise musical chairs, seeing as he did a brilliant job at the Christmas party at the Scout Hall some years ago. It was funny. Some people get so serious about it! It was soon time to go home. A great time was had by all. When we got home a sign from the pub advertising their curry nights and quiz nights was in our front room! Wonder how that got there!

No comments:

Post a Comment