Monday 8th November 2010 – Dover

Today we had hoped to go to either Howletts or Port Lympne Zoo but it was evident that the rain and wind would have made it unbearable. I decided it would be a good day to go to Dover Museum as that would be inside and it is only my list of “things to do”. We set off about 11 and called into the new home brewing shop in over near Wickes. They have only been open since May. They have lots of interesting stuff there for making wines, beers or lagers. I hope they do well. The guy was very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Dave bought a kit of Stout to try first. Sounds promising, and it could be ready as soon as 3 weeks. So time to try it and get another lot brewing for Christmas.

It was very scary driving down the motorway. I had to hold the steering wheel tightly as the wind was blowing the car about. I didn't think much to the rain either, especially when driving past lorries. Having parked up at Dover, Dave knew where he was going to I pulled my hood tight and followed. The museum was only £3 each to get in. The first floor had clearly labelled cabinets detailing each item, the second floor was a bit of guess work. There was every era covered of history in Dover through to war time. Dover did use to house the fattest man in England! 42 stone Thomas Longley was publican of The Star Inn in Church Street. Born in Snargate Street in 1848 & died in 1904. Buried at St Mary's cemetery. (I think this has probably been beat by now). I liked the big polar bear. I was surprised at how tall they are. The main feature of the museum is the Bronze Age boat. There was a talk about it at the archaeology club a couple of years ago by Keith Parfitt, the main archaeologist involved with it's excavation. It was found under medieval and roman stuff so when they discovered it they knew that it had to be older and of great importance. It is amazing how much of it they were able to retrieve and preserve. Pausing on our way out to buy the usual leather book mark for my collection, we made a short visit to what used to be the Dover Discovery Centre (http://www.dover-kent.co.uk/places/discovery_centre.htm). Posh name for a library! There were some ruins that could be seen out the back window but it wasn't clear what it was or where to go to see more “historical” stuff so we went out into the wet to find some lunch. KFC was nearby and we could eat in so we stopped there. Shame the staff there couldn't speak English so that Dave could understand. I had to translate for him!! After we had eaten we called into Blakes for a quick drink. They didn't have anything dark on so I settled for the same as Dave. I was going to try something different. I think it was Gadd's Rye but not sure. I was given a taster and decided that I didn't like it anyway. Leaving the pub, we ran back to the car through the rain and set off for Folkestone to go to the new Maplins. We managed not to find anything to buy. Then on to see Kat for a cuppa. She was in her pyjamas. These weren't any normal pjs, they are something known as a “onesie”. A one piece thing that looks like a babygro!

Bowling in the evening, we were officially playing against Team 10 which is our vacancy. We managed to get the 320+ needed for our 8 points. So we remain in 1st place for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment