Sunday 12th September 2010 – Chilston Ponds Ice House Dig

I woke up without an alarm at 7.30. I've been doing that a lot this week. Today I risked turning over and going back to sleep for half an hour. Luckily I woke at 8, so I got up on time. Not quite sure where the next hour or so went but it was gone 9 before I got out of the house. A quick trip to Tesco Express to get my favourite prawn pasta salad for lunch then round to collect Chippy. On arrival at Chilston, we were greeted by one of the park wardens, Mike. After a quick briefing we got down to scrapping the walls clean and digging a bit deeper to uncover more of the stone work. It was quite an easy site to dig. The ground was very sandy and we had a clear definition of where we were to dig. No guess work needed to try not to dig up a post hole or scrape the edge of ditch. Uncovering walls was so much easier. A lot of debris had been used to fill in the front in the 1960's. We had to be careful not to disturb too much of this. We dug until 12.30 and then stopped for lunch for about half an hour. It was a really good day and it was warm and not windy. Think I've got a few pink bits from the sun and I'll probably ache for a while.

At bowling this evening, I was having a bad first game, by frame 5 I'd only got 9 on each one so I played a new game of trying to only get 9. This worked up to frame 8. I managed a 3 strike finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment